Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Just one of those days!


As a mother there are days when I just feel inadequate and at the end of my rope. I don't always have enough patience to deal with the things that come my way. Today was one of those days when I felt a little overwhelmed with my children. It actually started out as a pretty good morning, I slept just fine, no birds chirping, yeah! I was relatively happy to be up with my kids early. I looked out the window and I was glad I could go on a walk because it wasn't raining, yet. I got the kids ready to go and then it started to rain just a mist at first and then more and more, so we went home. It was alright, I decided to do a workout video instead and Alan was nice enough to help the kids stay off of my while I did the exercises. Then Alan left and all hell broke loose. I gave the kids a bath and Samuel dumped water onto bathroom floor, a lot of water! After bathtime Samuel and Jacob fought for probably two straight hours over toys and other things we tried to do. I acted as referee to this and was just trying to appease everyone. It didn't work. Jacob stole Samuel's favorite toy and purposely broke the wheels off of it, this after I asked him to return it to Sam. After screaming and yelling from both sides the boys finally calmed down laid on their beds and then they had lunch at 11:30. I was just counting the moments until nap time (12:30). Alan called and as I was talking to him Jacob and Samuel started up fighting again. Then Jacob screamed that he had peed his pants, all over the couch. YEAH! I hung up the phone and dealt with that, luckily we have covers on our cushions. Finally it was nap time (it may have come a bit early due to the pee incident). Anyway the nap was about an hour, usually it last 2, so I kept telling them to lay down and rest, they screamed, kicked the door threw things etc. I ignored it until I was ready to deal with them. My friend wanted to walk down the street to a new store that is on the corner and we had planned on going if it wasn't raining. It wasn't so we soon got ready and waited outside for our other friend to join us, of course it started to sprinkle, just a little, then a lot, then a little again. We decided to risk it and go anyway, about 200 yards into our walk we were completely soaking. We turned around and walked back then it stopped raining right by our houses. So we turned around and walked to the store. It was actually a fairly nice outing the boys didn't touch too many things (that's rare) and then we walked back and I let the boys play in the front of our houses while we talked the boys played in the dirt covering their hands in dirt. So we went home the boys cleaned up a bit and then I let them play on the patio. I didn't know that the bin that usually contains their basketballs and soccer balls was full of water, dirty nasty looking water. Otherwise I would have not been looking up the recipe for dinner I would have just ushered them back inside. They had undressed and stuck all their clothes (including underwear) into the water to wash it. Jacob came streaking into the house so excited saying "Mommy I'm washing my clothes."
So, now I have changed them more times than I can count today and I just looked while writing this and they are wet again all over their bums because they sat in a puddle outside together, they thought it was pretty funny. I guess I am just done with being upset today, I have had it with trying to have patience. They will just have to sit in their wet clothes in the kitchen because I don't want an even wetter couch. I am just glad daddy will be home soon and will put them to bed tonight.

10 comments:

Shannon said...

Sorry you are having a rough day! Being a mom can be tough that way sometimes. At least it's usually better, right? Good luck!

Audrey said...

I hope you are alright, sounds like quite the day. Tomorrows a new day though, right? Love you Minda!

Elizabeth said...

Hi ya Sister! I have no idea how you do it with twins! I always tell you that! you are going to have soo many fun stories to tell of your adventures--and hopefully some of these crazy moments will provide some laughs in years to come.

I love you!!

Lizzy

Robinson Family said...

Sounds like quite the day! Sorry.. I know how frustrating a two year old can be, I just can't imagine double. But I do know you are a great mom. Hang in there!

K said...

You know some days are just like that. I have had so many of them I seriously can't even count them! Just hang in there and know that there will be good days mixed in with the bad. I constantly am questioning my motherhood abilities. All I can say is thank heavens for repentance:) You're amazing dealing with two year old twin boys every day. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for the awesome package in the mail! I love surprises like that! Thanks for the handmade gifts; we will use them all the time. How long did those take you to make? PS: sorry I have been totally lazy about reading your book... I am going to see how much of it I can get done on the plane to Vegas and back this weekend!

Cakes4U said...

Wow! what a day you had. If it is any consolation, we've all had those days more than once. For me it has been a long time but I still remember. You are an awesome mom. It totally is a learning and growing process and every day is different with different challenges. Hang in there. I loved all of the pictures you have been posting. Love you all!

Courtney said...

Wow, what a day! Thank you for posting. I am sure it it was horrendous at the time, but I have to admit the washing the clothes incident was pretty funny. We love you guys.

Leah said...

Yikes. Sounds like a horrible day. A day you want to pull all your hair out. Days like those are so hard. I hope the next day was better! No, I hope the whole rest of the week was better!

Liz said...

My heavens! Wet wet wet! I am sorry you had a rotten day! Later I am sure you will laugh about it ;)