Saturday, July 12, 2008

A Mother's Realization

I came to an important realization today while taking Samuel and Jacob to the park. They have always loved to swing, so whenever we go to the park that is usually the first thing they run too. Today the swings were occupied for a long time, so I watched and watched until I finally decided to go to another area where there was one baby swing and two other older children swings. I put Jacob in the baby swing and put Samuel on my lap and we were swinging happily until Samuel said, Sammy do it him self. I thought to myself, "you want to go on the big boy swing by yourself? No, you are too little." But, for some reason I was curious to see if he could do it. So I set him on it, and he knew exactly where to hold so he would stay up. I stood behind him and slowly pulled the swing back and forth making sure I was close enough in case he would fall off. He didn't. He was loving it. My heart kind of jumped at the thought that he had now graduated from baby swing to big boy swing. But I thought to myself "at least Jakie is still in the baby swings, he is a little more timid with stuff like that." So we were done there and went over to where we were originally. The swings there were now empty and my boys now ran up to the baby swings wanting to try those out, a sense of relief fell over me as the boys were swinging happily. Until, Samuel said "Other swing, Mommy," as he pointed to a big boy swing . My heart sank again, I took him out of the baby swing and placed him in the big boy swing and watched as his excitement increased. Soon, Jakie noticed how much fun Sammy was having, and said, "Other swing too." Now, I knew I was in trouble. So, as not to seem a mean mommy, I took Jakie out of the baby swing and put him into the big boy swing, he seemed a little timid about it, but was brave and stayed on for a whole five minutes swinging along side his brother on the big boy swings. Now, even though I have to admit I am extremely saddened to know that my babies are growing up (they will be two in a few weeks) I guess I need to be happy that they get to experience new things and they are good boys, not babies, little boys.Jacob
Samuel

9 comments:

Audrey said...

You are right Minda! They do seem older. Just being away for four days I can also see slight differences. You and Alan are amazing parents. The years seem to just fly by faster and faster.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of birthdays, will you send me your address? We have a little something for the big boys we want to send!

Andrew & Naoko said...

impressive! i can't believe they're already talking & swinging all by themselves.

Brad and Cathy said...

Hooray for Samuel and Jacob. I love to see each of the grandchildren grow and develop her or his skills. I believe I may know how you felt when they moved from the baby swing. I recall being saddened when I took the training wheels off of Bryce's bike and had to face the fact that he would never be a baby again. Give the boys a hug for us, while they are still young.

Maile said...

Growing up is hard to do! And watch! It is always neat to see them learn and develop but it is hard to not have your "babies" anymore. I miss that. Brady grew up so fast once Lani was born and now he is so not a baby!!! And she is growing too fast so she is my toddler and not quite my baby either!!! It is ongoing but we move on and love to see them grow.

Glenda said...

You know, Minda, denial is an excellent resource as a parent. I often find myself hefting a rather large eight year old in my lap and cradling him like a baby. I do the same for the eleven year old girl. I find they enjoy my denying their impending growth and independence as much as I do! Of course that may grown increasingly awkward - hmmmmm ...I've just discovered a new dating strategy for Tracy!!

They will always be your babies!!

K said...

It is really hard to let go I think. It's even harder to think that those moments won't come again. Enjoy them while you can. They go away way to fast.

Rich and Courtney said...

Minda, You probably should know that when we came by at the beginning of the summer and took your boys and Afton to the park. They both went on the "big boy" swings and had no problems with them then. They also showed Afton the really big slide, something Afton was a little bit afraid of. Anyway, they do grow up too fast, if you sit Mei-mei up, she will sit there for about 5 minutes without falling over. And Afton is a little big girl as well, she does just about everything by herself, and refuses to get help.

Tami H. said...

Its crazy how fast they grow up! Abby seems HUGE now compared to Kiaya! The things that they start to say will blow you away.

Did you hear, Nancy is expecting twins!!! I think I read that on Maylene's blog.