Friday, March 19, 2010

It's Baa-aak!

Since I have lived away from Michigan for pretty much the last 12 years of my life I thought that I had lost most signs of my Michigan accent. I know sometimes when I am excited or talking too fast little hints of my accent come out. I can hear myself speaking like that sometimes and have to stop and correct myself. Especially on words like back or bag which I tend to say with a long a at times. Alan occasionally will catch me too and will laugh a little because he knows that it annoys me. Well apparently I must speak this way much more than I think I do because recently I have noticed my son Samuel speaking with the same long a on the same words I tend to say in my accent. I have to admit it grates on my nerves a little.

Anyway, I would like to hear from all of you Michiganians who have lived away from Michigan to see if their kids do the same thing. I would especially like to hear from all my sister in laws (because I doubt my brothers would actually write anything on here) to see if their kids have picked it up too.

Let me know!

9 comments:

Maile said...

You know, I don't hear it from Bryce at all. I hear it more from you, Richard and Robert.

Not here, sorry and I have never noticed it from my kids either.

Kristen said...

i've never noticed it with either braden or the kids. they have learned a few new england expressions (not accent though, thank goodness!) from me.

Anonymous said...

I've never thought Rob had a Michigan accent at all, but Brandon Christensen majorly does and we always make fun of his. So I doubt any of our kids will. My own mom does say that she thinks Rob mumbles a lot though; is that a Michigan thing? I used to agree but now I think it's rubbed off on me and I do it too.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I believe we are Michiganders...

-Rob

Gunnell Family said...

Thanks for your comments, I don't think any of the Montierth kids have a very strong Michigan accent but I think it comes out at times, and yes Robert I suppose we are Michiganders although I have heard it both ways. Jacob hasn't talked in an accent like Sam does but he also has a harder time pronouncing words so who is to say he won't pick it up later, maybe it is just the way Sam speaks, but I think I am probably an influence.

Courtney said...

Nope, the kids haven't picked it up at all. I only hear Richard say the long a in Bag and Back and he says Scott funny too.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, and I think the big reason you guys don't have it very much is that your parents are from Utah. Rob never says "bag" or "back" with a long A, but my Canadian sisters-in-law do and I notice it all the time.

What's good for the Michigoose is good for the Michigander!

Mark and Adrienne said...

How funny! I guess I didn't pick it up from my mom, so maybe you'll luck out and your boys will outgrow it.

Sorry I haven't called you back! I'm going to soon!

And yes I vividly remember the bird poop incident and the bikes :) I also remember the you-getting-hit-by-a-car-while-riding-your-bike incident. Luckily you were wearing your helmet instead of having it strapped to the back of you bike like other people... :)