Thursday, September 17, 2009

Not so cute

There are days when I think that these two little guys are just so dang cute (for those of you without kids, when you have kids you will think the same thing about your kids I promise you.) But today was not one of those days.

I knew my visiting teachers were coming today and I knew they would bring their children and so I intentionally didn't clean up the playroom (it wasn't too messy anyway) because I knew it would just get messy again. I put the boys table in front of their bookshelf so that my sweet innocent little boys would not be tempted to pull all of the books off of the shelf (this is something they have done a couple of times before.) But I was going to outsmart them this time. I also shut their bedroom door thinking that they would contain all of the mess in just the play room.

Well, the visiting teachers came and their children were very sweet and nice, my boys kept bothering me and finally when I went into their room like they asked me I saw every article of clothing that they own strewn all around the room. I got upset, but because the VTers were there I contained my anger and told them to put everything back (yeah right like that was going to happen.) Then finally when the visit was over I went into their room to help them pick up their clothes, I asked them why they had done it and they said that they wanted to show their friends their clothes. After this fun adventure I then went to assess the damage in the playroom.

The room was in shambles (I would have taken a picture but I was too livid). I expected it to be messy, but this. This had Samuel and Jacob at their worst written all over it. All the books were
off of the shelf and scattered around the room, some in pieces now. Every toy was off of the toy shelf and all over the room. I asked the boys who pulled the books off, they said that they did, I asked them who removed all of the toys from the shelf they said that they had done it.

To say I was upset would be an understatement. It took an hour and a half to clean up the room, I made them help and that is probably why it took so long. Needless to say reading books will now be a privilege and not a right in our home.

These cute little boys I am sure will do it again in the future, although they repeatedly were telling me they would never do it again.

Anyway, I am sure I am not the first or the last parent to have a child act out like this it is just frustrating when it is your kid doing it.

6 comments:

K said...

My sympathies! I only have one and I seriously can't keep up with. He is a walking tornado. He is 11 and still thinks the floor is a completely acceptable place to throw string cheese wrappers, or whatever else he is too lazy to throw away, he thinks he needs to get out every DVD we own to select one, and I'm not kidding, one article of clothing is in every room in my house when it's time to shower. I could go on and on. I keep telling myself it is normal, but oh my word sometimes I could just lose it! Take a deep breath and know you're doing a great job and they are completely normal! Miss you guys!

Gunnell Family said...

To top it off I just found a tube of lipstick in my purse pushed to its limit and smeared all over the inside of my purse. Oh the joys!

Janadt.Huggins said...

Oh Minda I hear ya. Elliot is hitting the throwing things on purpose and screaming stage...it's wonderful. One day, far from now you will probably laugh about it :) I'm sure that didn't help at all.

Reid Family said...

I definately think that 3's are worse than 2's! I feel for ya! What a headache! One day they will find out how much their mommy did for them! Hang in there you are awesome!

Cakes4U said...

Well, Minda, they are still alive. they must be cuter than we thought:) I'm sorry you had that big mess etc. It is one of those things you will remind them of someday and laugh about. But right now I know it is not very fun. Hang in there. You are amazing. Alan, you are missing all the fun:) Love you

Stamp With Linz said...

Amen! :)