Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Potty Training 101

Well, I took a lot of classes while attending BYU but I wish there had been a class called Potty Training 101 because I could really use the knowledge I could glean from a course like that, right now in my life. We started potty training the boys yesterday. I have wanted to potty train them for quite a while, but it hasn't worked out, until now. I really could use any advice anyone has for me, so far Courtney has given me quite a bit of help, thank you, thank you. But I have heard, and now witnessed that potty training a boy is a bit different than a girl. If you have any tips, you moms of boys out there, please be kind and share your knowledge with me. I know I am crazy for doing them both at the same time, but I think that I would go insane if had to do this two times in a short period of time, instead of one really horrible time. Plus, they always want to be together, so it would be really difficult to potty train them separately. Anyway, thank you for any advice you could leave me.

7 comments:

Shannon said...

Bribery :-)

Glenda said...

A two liter of Sprite and an entire day should do the trick! ;) With our boy #1 was simple, but #2 was trickier. Just be patient (and willing to do a lot of wash).

Maile said...

I made Brady sit on the potty with a sippy cup, that I constantly filled until he went. I taught him to sit down first, instead of standning, too complicated! He figured out standing after a month or so but he still prefers to sit.
They say fill them up on sweets and sugary drinks, because that makes them thirtier. This will make them want more water and then will have to go more.
I don't know if this is advice but good luck. Once they get it, oh it is worth it, but if they are pushing too hard, then it might not be worth it.
Teresa, my sister pushed her daughter and then she rebelled and smeared stuff all over the walls, so good luck!

Monica said...

I my I couldn't imagine trying to potty train twice in a short period. Once is bad enough. I feel your pain. We tried potty training on and off when our boy was 18 months. At 2 1/2 years we went full force and it took 12 weeks. It was terrible. Honestly we tried potty charts and m & m rewards, cool under wear, taking him every 1/2 hour. It seems in the end the boy just had to decide it was something HE wanted to do. It has been great ever since. Hang in there.

K said...

You go girl! So, I tried everything with K. We had a party where we ate a lot of salty things, had several drinks, and then over and over went to the potty. That really was a good start, but it wasn't a one day thing. My friend lets hers run around naked for a day and they are trained. I couldn't bring myself to that. I had a glass jar (so he could see) on the back of the toilet full of matchbox cars (it's what motivated him at the time) That could get out of control for you with two, but I didn't want to do the candy thing with him, so I chose something different that he really wanted. In the end the real difference was when he decided he wanted to do it ALL the time. Hang tough Mom, it's not a job for wusses! And...boys are definitely harder.

Gunnell Family said...

thanks for all the advice

fish family said...

For me I let Kaden go to the store to pick out like 1.00 prizes then we got a bag of candy (smarties) and when he sat on the potty he would get a smarty then when he used it he got a hot wheels or a car. Then when he went for a wk he got a bigger prize. I also had him sit on the potty every 1/2 hr and set the microwave timer. Some say shooting at cherios have worked too for their child. And have heard about giving them soda. Good Luck with it all. Hope all is going well.